Sunday 13 March 2016




My mother passed away recently and my family had to do all the things you have to do when a loved one dies - like choosing a symbol for the public announcement of my mothers death. There was 61 pages of images to choose from! As an art historian I just had to go through the whole material, especially since I already have an unnatural fascination of images chosen for these kinds of announcements. It can be quite curious and mysterious at times, but it is also revealing of our society's understanding of death and grief. 




Traditionally only the latin cross were used like in this example taken from http://www.rsob.se/dodsannonser_aspliden_.html  But the Church and Christianity is not as hegemonic in Swedish rituals as before, and I guess people wants to remember family members and friends in a more personal way. You can use symbols reflecting interest, hobbies, professions and relations. Flowers, especially roses, are popular (my mother eventually got a red rose), then there are hearts, doves, tools, vehicles, pets, instruments, crests from your favourite teams, and symbols from other religions. At first I thought that masons were especially proud of their profession until I realised that the trowel was a sign of the Freemasons. Another favourite tool seems to be the pipe wrench - can someone explain that?

Finally there are the combinations, like the cross and cat at the top. Often they are logical in a symbolic reading like a dove and a cross, or the crown of thorns together with the cross. But cat and cross? Perhaps the deceased  was a devout cat lover and Christian, or maybe the family could not agree due to a generation gap? I am not sure what symbol I would like to go with my funeral announcement, maybe a heart of some kind.  How would you like to be remembered?


No comments:

Post a Comment